As salaamu alaikum,
The next regularly scheduled troop meeting will be tomorrow, Friday, Feb 1, 2019, 6 – 8PM, inshaAllah. Please be timely. Arrivals after 6:15PM are disruptive to troop meetings and strongly discouraged.
- Brownies will have a Self Defense & Martial Arts workshop with a Taekwondo instructor and will also make jewelry.
- Reminder: the next troop meeting on February 15, Brownies will earn their First Aid badge at the Bowie Fire Station. Please turn in permission forms.
- Turn in permission forms for the Brownie trip to the Newseum.
- Brownies will begin the Wonders of Water journey in March inshaAllah. Parents can purchase the journey book online or at their local Girl Scout shop if they like.
- Detective Jeremy Bull from the Prince George’s Police Department will help the Juniors complete their Detective badge inshaAllah.
- Juniors will participate in the Service Unit World Thinking Day program on Friday, February 22 inshaAllah. Girls should check out these videos to learn more about the country the troop will present: Costa Rica! Geography Now! Costa Rica and A Day in the Life of a Costa Rican School Pupil
SENIORS & AMBASSADORS
- Badge Work: The girls that have sewing machines should bring them. We will be learning how to use a measuring tape, thread a machine, and stitch. Make sure all parts are with the machine you bring.
- STEAM Training: Anyone wanting to participate in the summer STEAM program needs to send applications to Nuri Kemet.
- Gold Award: For those girls interested in going for their Gold Award, please bring your proposal idea so you can begin the process of applying. The requirements for APPLYING to earn your Girl Scout Gold Award are simple. You must:
- Be in 9th, 10th, 11th, or 12th grades
- Be a registered Girl Scout Senior or Ambassador
- Have completed two Senior or Ambassador Journeys OR have earned the Girl Scout Silver Award and completed one Journey. Which ones have you done?
- Senior Journeys –
- It’s Your World – Change It! – Girltopia!
- It’s Your Planet – Love It! – Sow What?
- It’s Your Story – Tell It! – Mission: Sisterhood!
- Ambassador Journeys –
- It’s Your World – Change It! – Your Voice, Your World
- It’s Your Planet – Love It! – Justice
- It’s Your Story – Tell It! – Bliss: Live it! Give it!
Preview of Gold Award Steps:
Step 1: Choose an issue
Step 2: Investigate
Step 3: Get Help
Step 4: Create a plan
Step 5: Present you plan
Step 6: Take action
Step 7: Educate and Inspire
This link explains the entire process.
Deadlines: Gold Award Proposals are due by 5pm on the first of the month. If the first falls on a weekend, the due date is the first business day after that weekend.
- Parents should see the Snack Mom during the troop meeting to sign up to bring snacks for upcoming troop meetings inshaAllah.
- Important: Please turn in health forms and troop dues ($50/Girl Scout; $40/Daisy) for your Girl Scout.