Each year on February 22, World Thinking Day, girls participate in activities and projects with global themes to honor their sister Girl Guides and Girl Scouts in other countries. World Thinking Day is part of the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts Global Action Theme based on the United Nation’s Millennium Development Goals, which aim to improve the lives of the world’s poorest people. The theme for World Thinking Day 2014 is girls worldwide say “education opens doors for all girls and boys.”
Did you know…?
- 66 million girls are out of school globally (UNESCO). That’s even more girls than all the girls in Canada, Mexico and the United States combined!
- There are 33 million fewer girls than boys in primary school. (Education First) That’s approximately the number of all school-age girls in the United States.
- In some places, there are 90 students to one teacher. (Global Campaign for Education)
- A child born to a literate mother is 50% more likely to survive past the age of 5. (UNESCO)
- A girl with an extra year of education can earn 20% more as an adult. (The World Bank)
- Girls with 8 years of education are 4 times less likely to be married as children. (National Academies Press)
- 14 million girls under 18 will be married this year. That’s 38,000 girls today. (UNFPA)
- Even though K-12 school is free in the United States, almost one in every seven US adults cannot read. (U.S. Department of Education, National Institute of Literacy)
Troop 3480 will host our service unit’s World Thinking Day program at Kingsford Elementary School on Friday, February 21, 6:30 – 8:30PM. Ambassadors and Seniors will assist with the program, Cadettes will be responsible for check-in and donation collection, and Juniors will help with event set up. Brownies and Daisies will highlight Sweden. More information will be given at this Friday’s troop meeting to take home. We will work hard to ensure an enjoyable event.
Each girl should be in full uniform and bring a new book for their own age level to donate to children at the House of Ruth DC / House of Ruth MD. Download the World Thinking Day permission slip and turn in at the Feb. 14 troop meeting. Girls should also eat before coming to the Thinking Day event.
What: Service Unit 22-6 World Thinking Day Program
Who: All Levels
When: Friday, Feb. 21, 2014, 6:30 – 8:30PM
Where: Kingsford Elementary School
1401 Enterprise Road, Mitchellville MD 20721
Cost: new book donation for children of the House of Ruth